Fifteen of my favorite feelingsSome of life's pleasures never get old
Although I try my best to approach most situations with realistic optimism, it is not uncommon for me to let negativity get the best of me. Stressful and disappointing circumstances can induce a personal raincloud; however, on the days that I would rather sleep through, there are certain feelings that shift my mood positively no matter how consumed in negativity I may be.
1. The smell of rain when it hasn’t rained in awhile.
2. Staying up until the early hours talking to someone, even if both people are tired, because the conversation is too good to end.
3. Watching my cat sleep. I don’t know if cats experience Rapid Eye Movement (REM) cycles, but I’m sure whatever dreams my cat may be having are not nearly as entertaining as watching her switch sleeping positions.
4. Receiving praise from someone I respect or look up to. Although I do not rely on praise in order to take pride in my work, it feels extremely validating to be appreciated by someone I admire, whether it be a teacher or someone whose work I value.
5. The way bath bubbles feel in my hands. Of the few characteristics that separate me from most five-year-olds, that is not one of them, and I embrace it wholeheartedly.
6. Solo dance parties that undoubtedly involve throwback playlists and interpretive dancing. Anything ABBA is my go-to.
7. Bundling up in the warm cocoon of blankets on my bed in the winter. (On the other hand, one of the worst feelings is having to get out of my warm bed when the sun is barely up and it is cold outside.)
8. The feeling of anxiousness/excitement I get when waking up on the day of an event that I’ve been anticipating.
9. The satisfaction of watching incense burn.
10. The fresh faced feeling of taking out contact lenses and washing off makeup.
11. Putting on a new pair of glasses that have the correct prescription for the first time, and noticing all the crisp details of my surroundings.
I may have a love/hate relationship with this city, but nothing brightens the morning drive to school or work like being accompanied by a sky that looks like it came straight out of a Bob Ross painting.
12. Feeling perfectly full and satisfied after an amazing meal.
13. Watching the sunrise and sunset, especially here in Las Vegas. I may have a love/hate relationship with this city, but nothing brightens the morning drive to school or work like being accompanied by a sky that looks like it came straight out of a Bob Ross painting.
14. Creating something that I am proud of, then putting it out into the world. Bonus points if it’s well received by others.
15. The sweet feeling of pain I get when my face hurts from smiling too much.
Despite the unfavorable circumstances life can bring about, my goal is to always find light in even the darkest of days through life’s simple pleasures.