To assist graduating seniors finance their college education, administration will offer a $1000 scholarship to a student in the Design Academy (DA) and a student in the Professional Academy (PA). Each applicant must submit all components of the scholarship application by April 15. Full information can be found here.
“When applying for scholarships, it’s important to take advantage of every opportunity, especially since I’m only competing against other PA seniors,” senior Serena Torres said. “Since the award is exclusive to our school, there are less people trying to qualify for the scholarship.”
Once the scholarship committee selects the recipients from both academies, the money must be used by Feb. 17 2017, or the student forfeits the right to the scholarship funds.
“Even though I’m going to UNLV where the tuition for locals is relatively inexpensive, the money will still be a big help,” senior Christopher Dela Cruz said.
In order to qualify for the scholarship, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Graduating senior
- Demonstrate honor and integrity (no discipline record)
- Have a minimum un-weighted cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- During the senior year, no more than three absences and three tardies per semester.
- Meet the requirements for the Program Area Medallion as listed in the program area course expectations and the student handbook.
“I think I have pretty good chances to win the PA scholarships because I qualify for the medallion, which many students may not receive, and I will have a good approach to the essay,” senior Bomon Liu said. “I plan to use the money for my out of state tuition.”
After ensuring they meet the criteria, students must complete all components of the application program.
- Create a short 3-minute (maximum) video answering the question: How has your overall experience here at SWCTA helped you grow as an individual and as a student (The videos of the scholarship winners will be posted on the school’s website)?
- Complete his/her scholarship application here.
- 250-300-word essay answering one of the following questions (share the document with [email protected]):
- What have you learned in your program area and how do you plan to use these skills for your future and post-secondary education?
- How will your program area of study contribute to your immediate or long range career plans?
- Explain the importance of you program area of study in today’s society.
- What are the most important issues your program area’s industry faces today?
- Program Teacher Appraisal form must be completed by program area teacher. The form can be found here.
“Education is a defining factor toward the amount of success a person achieves,” senior Karel Saquing said. “The scholarship our school offers us is a clear representation of their ultimate goal: that SWCTA students receive the best education they can get.”
The scholarship is offered annually, and recipients will be recognized at Senior Awards night.
“After months of applying for scholarships, I’ve accumulated a decent amount of funds for UNR,” senior Rein Villahermosa said. “Since this one is so convenient, I’m going to take advantage of it, too.”